Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 53

Dante has reached the circle of Saturn, home to the contemplatives (monks, founders of monastic orders).  He's asked about predestination, a favorite subject.  The question of how God can know everything and yet still give human beings free will is one that comes up several times in the Paradisio.  The answer gets complicated, especially for people who aren't versed in Scholastic Theology--or, I guess, any theology.  I am one of those people.  But, to summarize: we have free will.  So, be comforted!

Many new books arrived yesterday.  It's always a happy occasion.  I've started reading Howard's End, which I read last in 2002.  I hadn't remembered how great it was.  I'm 50 pages in and am already loving it.   There's a kindness, a gentleness, to Forster's tone that I find especially soothing.  His characters have flaws but he doesn't condemn them for them.

I took some pictures of our flowers yesterday but none of them really captured their splendor.  Still, I'll try to post them anyway.  Only seven more days till I've blogged for sixty straight days.  The mind reels...

2 comments:

Barbara Carlson said...

Don't hit the wall now!

JMW said...

The 53 days have been a delight. Here's to 60 and beyond...

I've long meant to read Howard's End. And it's long enough since I've seen the movie that I don't remember much of it. (Except the bookcase, of course.)

I'm reading Dog Soldiers by Robert Stone right now. About a guy who comes back from Nam and sees a drug deal go very wrong. It's a great ride, and he can really write. The dialogue begs to be adapted into a screenplay, I think. It's dark and sometimes violent but also very funny at times -- I picture the Coens doing it well; those crafty guys.