Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sunday, Jan 15

Ok, it's true: I missed one day.  I apologize.  I have a student who's taking a US History midterm on Tuesday.  We met yesterday and we're meeting tomorrow.  I've had to reread 200 pages of history in the last day or so.  Plus, I had to watch football.  How else could I be ready to help my student talk about the Corrupt Bargain?  I couldn't.  Watching the Saints game yesterday (WOW!) was crucial to understanding the election of 1824.  Everybody who understands American History can understand that.

In other news, my two friends at A Special Way of Being Afraid and Gonna Need A Bigger Boat (links on sidebar) have decided they too are going to start posting regularly.  So check out their pages; once more they are back among the land of the living.  John, at ASWOBA, has recently continued his long-delayed movie list.  And Ray, at GNABB, has posted recently about the Texans.

The Texans!  I'm almost ashamed to admit how much I'm looking forward to watching the game this afternoon.  Is there any chance we could win?  My heart says yes.  My brain says maybe.  It's not going to be easy but I think we have a shot.  What we can't do is let Joe Flacco beat us.  (That's a surprising sentence, huh?)  Last time we played the Ravens we did exactly that.  Our secondary got burned a few times on big pass plays.  That can't happen today.  Stopping Ray Rice is hard enough.  If we do that, we have to win.  No more Anquan Boldin.  No more, I say.  No more.

Or, as Henry Clay is reported to have said at his notorious dinner meeting with John Quincy Adams on January 9, 1825: "No more Goddamned Anquan Boldin.  Johnathan Joseph has got to do his job.  He's supposed to be a Pro-Bowler, right?  RIGHT?"

No wonder he became the Secretary of State!

No comments: