Thursday, August 28, 2014

Thirty Days of Blogging: Day 6

I'd like to write about both True Detective and Game of Thrones but I don't have the time or energy to do so now.  The very short version is that I find/found both disappointing, but in different ways.  But I have watched them both, yes.  Yes I have.

We're leaving tomorrow for Las Vegas for Labor Day.  So the blog will be on hiatus for a few days.

I wrote earlier how I'm getting back into tennis.  As a result, I've been especially enjoying the US Open early round matches.  Last night I started imagining what I would do if a genie appeared and offered to make me exactly half as good as Roger Federer is at tennis.  Would that make me better or worse?  I'm a 4.0 on the tennis ranking scale, which is exactly in the middle.  (Novices are 1.0; pros are 7.0  Div I college players are, I think, 6.0?).   So, according to that I'm already slightly better than half as good as Federer; maybe 5/8 as good.  But of course that system is incredibly subjective and imprecise.  My gut says that I'd improve if I were made as half as good as Federer.

I'm leaving aside, of course, the question of how one would measure what 'half as good' means in terms of tennis.  Let's just assume that could be done.  The main question still remains: should I take the genie's offer?

No comments: